School Enrollment

Begin your child's educational journey with school enrollment. Start the process to open the doors to learning and opportunity.

Enroll Your Child In School

School enrollment is the official process of registering your child for their local or chosen school. It's an essential step to access the education system and the various programs schools offer.

To enroll in a public school, parents or guardians typically need to provide:

  • Proof of residency (such as an electric bill or lease agreement)
  • Proof of age (such as a birth certificate)
  • Proof of immunization (such as vaccination records)
  • Proof of identity (such as a driver's license or passport)

Some schools may also require additional documentation, such as proof of income or proof of guardianship.

The enrollment process typically takes place at the school or district office, and may involve a meeting with a school administrator or counselor.

Frequently Asked Questions about School Enrollment
1. What is the age requirement for enrolling in Kindergarten?
Children must be five years old by a specific cut-off date, which can vary by district, to enroll in Kindergarten.
2. How do I find out which school my child will attend?
School assignments are usually determined by your residential address. Contact your local school district or use their online tool to find out school zoning.
3. What documents are required for school registration?

Every school district requires you to fill out a registration form when enrolling your child. You can find this form on the school district's website or by visiting the school and speaking with the school secretary.

You will need to provide some important documents for enrollment:

  • Proof of Residency: This confirms you live within the school district. You can use a lease agreement, bank statement, or a utility bill with your address as proof.
  • Proof of Age: A document like a birth certificate or passport showing your child's birthdate is needed.
  • Health Records: Immunization records and other health documents are required and can vary by district.
  • Your Income: Providing proof of your income may qualify your child for free or reduced-price lunch programs if your income falls below a certain level.

Schools will not ask about your immigration or citizenship status. You don't need to provide this information to prove where you live.

You don't need a Social Security number (SSN) to enroll your child in school. While some schools might ask for it, you can choose not to provide it.

4. Can I choose a school outside my assigned zone?
School zone assignments and transfer policies vary by school district. If you're interested in exploring options outside your assigned zone, we recommend reaching out to your local school district or visiting their website for the most up-to-date and accurate information. You can also contact the district directly to discuss your specific situation and learn about any available options. Keep in mind that transfer policies and availability can change, so it's essential to verify the information with the district. Don't hesitate to reach out to the school district with any questions or concerns!
5. What is the process for enrolling a child in special education?
Contact your school district's special education department. They will guide you through the process, which will include evaluations to determine eligibility and needs.
6. Are there any vaccinations required before school enrollment?
Yes, most schools require proof of certain immunizations. Check with your local school district for specific requirements.
7. How do I enroll my child in school if we are moving from another state or country?
Contact the school district where you will be residing. You will need to provide records from previous schools along with other required documents.
8. What if my child has special education needs?
Discuss your child's needs with the school during the enrollment process. Provide any existing education plans (e.g., IEPs) and schedule a meeting with school specialists to ensure proper support and resources.
9. Are there any fees required for school enrollment?
Public schools do not charge tuition, but there may be fees for activities, supplies, or specific programs. Inquire with the school about any expected costs.
10. What is the deadline for enrolling in school for the upcoming year?
Deadlines can vary by district; it's best to contact your local school district or check their website early in the calendar year for enrollment timelines.
11. What does my child need for school?

Your child will need various school supplies and possibly a uniform, depending on the school’s requirements.

School Supplies

Check the school district's website or ask your child’s teacher for a list of required school supplies. Common items include backpacks, notebooks, pens, pencils, and binders. The specific items may vary by grade.


Some schools, both public and private, may require students to wear uniforms. Please confirm with your child's school to determine if a uniform is necessary and what the specific requirements are.

12. What if my child doesn't speak English?

During the school registration, it's important to inform the school if your child is learning English.

The school will ask about the languages spoken at home. Depending on the answers, your child might be placed in a bilingual education program to help them learn English. Keep in mind that this program is temporary and might not be available in every school.

Always feel free to seek help. Schools often have resources and support for families whose first language is not English.

If you have any questions and would like assistance, please call ACCESS at 1-844-552-2237 or Submit an Online Request